- Diploma of Geographic Sciences, Honours
Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS) Nova Scotia Community College
Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia, Canada, 2015
- B.F.A. Honours
Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 2012
Concentration in Printmaking, minor in Art History. Graduated with a 3.48 G.P.A.
- Diploma of the International Baccalaureate
Lester B. Pearson United World College of the Pacific
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, 2008
Scored in the 99th percentile of IB students worldwide
SKLLS & EXPERIENCE
- ⚫ Award winning cartographer and artist who marries both practices to create beautiful and professional maps, recently featured in the NACIS Atlas of Design and Esri Maps We Love.
- ⚫ Created topographic and thematic maps, nautical and star charts, atlases and web maps. My portfolio demonstrates experience and understanding of conventions and standards in mapping, terrain visualization, cartographic generalization, data acquisition and management, 3D modeling, graphic design, illustration and artistic approaches to map making.
- ⚫ Wrote popular and engaging cartography tutorials for the ArcGIS Blog site.
- ⚫ Prepared and delivered presentations and demos for cartography conferences and development review meetings.
- ⚫ Tutored students in GIS and Cartography. Taught piano lessons to children and adults. Volunteered for an English Language Support group.
- UI/UX Design
- ⚫ Primary designer for map and layer properties in ArcGIS Pro, including five new symbology methods. Researched, mocked-up, presented, and reiterated dozens of designs for features which are now in released software.
- ⚫ Collaborated with others in and outside of the team to ensure designs worked in harmony with the rest of the platform and were flexible for diverse workflows.
- ⚫ Developed and proposed design solutions when multiple bugs in one area pointed to a need.
- Software Quality
- ⚫ Investigated bugs, built clear reproducible steps, researched and defined expected behaviour, collaborated across teams to determine the root cause and best solution to complex issues.
- ⚫ For dozens of mapping features in ArcGIS Pro: developed test plans, manually tested in-progress development, and wrote new automated tests in C#.
- ⚫ Daily monitoring and maintenance of hundreds of regression tests. Visibly improved the reliability of this test suite.
- ⚫ Collaboratively managed code, project plans, tasks and bug tracking on GitHub with a team of nineteen following the Agile software development model.
- ⚫ While working and living within a non-profit arts organization, was responsible for all email communication as well as event planning, and preparing, facilitating and documenting weekly meetings.
- Web Design & Development
- ⚫ Built an audio web map of Gaelic place names in Nova Scotia using Leaflet, CartoDB, jQuery, QGIS and Inkscape.
- ⚫ Built and maintain this portfolio website without the use of templates.
Languages & Tools
- C#, HTML, CSS, JavScript, Python
- ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcMap
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, InDesign, Flash, Acrobat, Bridge
- Microsoft Visual Strudio, Office Suite
- Avenza MAPublisher
- Bentley Microstation
- Governor General's Academic Medal
- Nova Scotia Community College, Annapolis Valley Campus, 2015
- Dr. Roger F. Tomlinson Prize for Excellence in GIS Studies
- Walter K. Morrison Cartographic Award
- Bentley Award
- Centre of Geographic Sciences, Lawrencetown, 2015
- Gold Award for Best Printed Map
- Silver Award for Best Electronic Map
- International Map Industry Association Americas, 2015
- Cartography and Geographic Information Society, 2015
- President’s Prize
- Canadian Cartographic Association, 2014
- CANMAP Award
- Geographic Sciences Award, Year One
- Centre of Geographic Sciences, Lawrencetown, 2014
- Don Phillips Scholarship
- Open Studio, Toronto, ON, 2012
- United World Scholarship
- Pearson College, Victoria, BC, 2006
- Mapping Product Engineer
Redlands, California, 2015-present
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Student GIS Technician
- Toronto Public Library
- Lillian H. Smith Branch
Toronto, Ontario, 2013
- Gwartzman’s Art Supplies
- Toronto, Ontario, 2012-2013
- Visual Resources Unit
- Assistant and computer lab monitor
Queen’s University Department of Art History, Kingston, Ontario, 2011-2012
- W.D. Jordan Music and Special Collections Library
- Queen’s University
Kingston, Ontario, 2008-2012
- English Language Support Program
- Program Assistant
Queen’s University International Centre
Kingston, Ontario, 2009-2010