- Written communication:
- Technical reports, project proposals, instructional manuals, promotional materials.
- Spoken communication:
- Public speaking, technical training, teaching, leading workshops, prepared and impromptu presentations, facilitating group meetings, software demonstrations.
- Liaised between student participants, student coordinators, senior administrators and staff partners to promote and run a volunteer program for student staff at Algonquin Provincial Park.
- Time management:
- Never handed an assignment in past its deadline.
- Collaboratively managed code, project plans, bugs and tasks on GitHub with a team of nineteen following the Agile software development model.
- Built a star chart after finding data and acquired permissions. Created missing spatial data from map images. Researched the conventions and logic of celestial cartography.
- Facilitated and scheduled weekly meetings for a non-profit organization, including compiling and sharing agendas, recording, distributing and archiving minutes, and following up on tasks until they were completed.
- Topographic mapping:
- Built topographic maps following rigorous standards and specifications, as well as creating my own design.
- Web mapping:
- Built an audio web map of Gaelic place names in Nova Scotia using Leaflet, CartoDB, jQuery, QGIS and Inkscape.
- Nautical charts:
- Created a 1:20,000 chart of Halifax Harbour with numerous label scripts and extensive use of ArcMap's representation tools.
- Thematic mapping:
- Created a statistical atlas of Nova Scotia using population pyramids, point density mapping, proportional and graduated symbols and four methods of choropleth mapping.
- Cartographic generalization:
- Built a 1:100,000 scale topographic atlas of the Toronto area from 1:50,00 data.
- Data collection:
- Planned and executed a data collection project for campground infrastructure in Algonquin Park. Built and edited data dictionaries, trained other staff, and post-processed all data.
- Building data dictionaries:
- Developed and tested a set of four data collection forms with ArcPad for annual whippoorwill surveys based on forms from Bird Studies Canada. Wrote detailed instructions along with cheat sheets to accompany the dictionaries, and shared this and all other relevant files with GIS staff throughout Ontario Parks.
- Creating Python script tools for ArcGIS:
- Designed and wrote a Python script tool for ArcGIS to generalize road network, hydrography and built up areas from the Nova Scotia Topographic Data Base (NSTDB) 1:10,000 data to a 1:100,000 scale.
- GIS analysis:
- Built a model within ArcMap to analyze an area for agricultural suitability based on CLI data, proximity to existing farms, and zoning regulations.
- Terrain visualization:
- Composed enhanced hillshades from TINS using different models with ArcMap and Photoshop.
- Created illustrations for a thematic map. Illustrated a chapbook of short stories.
- Hand-made cartography:
- Drew a set of forty watercolour maps. Carved and printed and a woodcut map.
- Web design:
- Built and maintain this portfolio website without the use of templates.
- 3D modelling:
- Using Sketchup Pro and ArcGIS Pro.
- Software design:
- Created and collaborated on UI/UX designs for mapping features in ArcGIS Pro. Presented proposals to team members and managers for feedback and critique. Wrote test design alongside feature design.
- Bug management:
- Recorded, managed and prioritized hundreds of bugs per release. Investigated bugs by creating reproducible steps, determining causes and possible solutions.
- Software testing:
- Wrote and reviewed test plans for desktop software development, including accessibility, globalization and manual testing.
- Automated testing:
- Wrote over 100 automated tests (coded UI, unit, graphics) for mapping features in ArcGIS Pro, using C#. Reviewed test code, adapted and upgraded existing tests. Reviewed daily test results. Prepared and maintained maps for tests.
- Esri ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Earth, ArcPad, ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Adobe Photoshop, Flash, Acrobat, Bridge, InDesign and Illustrator
- Avenza MAPublisher
- AutoCAD and Bentley Microstation
- CorelDRAW and CorelPHOTO-PAINT
- ET Geo Wizards
- Trimble Pathfinder Office
- PCI Geomatica
- Trimble Juno handheld GPS receiver
- Trimble Nomad connected to an SX Blue device via Bluetooth
- Garmin recreational grade GPS receiver
- VB Script
- Web Mapping Platforms:
- ArcGIS Online
- CARTO (CartoDB)
- Diploma of Geographic Sciences, Honours
Centre of Geographic Sciences, Nova Scotia Community College (COGS NSCC)
- B.F.A. Honours
Concentration in Printmaking, minor in Art History. Graduated with a 3.48 G.P.A.
- Diploma of the International Baccalaureate
Lester B. Pearson United World College of the Pacific
Scored in the 99th percentile of IB students worldwide
- Certificate École de Lange Française de Trois-Pistoles
University of Western Ontario and the Explore Program
- Governor General's Academic Medal
- Nova Scotia Community College, Annapolis Valley Campus, 2015
- Dr. Roger F. Tomlinson Prize for Excellence in GIS Studies
- Walter K. Morrison Cartographic Award
- Bentley Award
- Centre of Geographic Sciences, Lawrencetown, 2015
- Gold Award for Best Printed Map
- Silver Award for Best Electronic Map
- International Map Industry Association Americas, 2015
- Honourable Mention, Arthur Robinson Student Printed Map Award
- Cartography and Geographic Information Society, 2015
- President’s Prize
- Canadian Cartographic Association, 2014
- CANMAP Award
- Geographic Sciences Award, Year One
- Centre of Geographic Sciences, Lawrencetown, 2014
- Don Phillips Scholarship
- Open Studio, Toronto, ON, 2012
- United World Scholarship
- Pearson College, Victoria, BC, 2006
- Mapping Product Engineer
Redlands, California, 2015-present
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Student GIS technician
- Toronto Public Library
- Lillian H. Smith Branch
Toronto, Ontario, 2013
- Gwartzman’s Art Supplies
- Toronto, Ontario, 2012-2013
- Visual Resources Unit
- Assistant and computer lab monitor
Queen’s University Department of Art History, Kingston, Ontario, 2011-2012
- W.D. Jordan Music and Special Collections Library
- Queen’s University
Kingston, Ontario, 2008-2012
- English Language Support Program
- Program assistant
Queen’s University International Centre
Kingston, Ontario, 2009-2010